Well, typically a “consultant” of any kind is an expert on a particular topic and they are paid to give advice about that topic by individuals or companies who need it. So in that way a SEO consultant is no different. They are an expert on search engine optimization and are paid by businesses and site owners to give them advice on how to get higher rankings, more targeted traffic, and ultimately more profits for their websites.
At the very least, a professional SEO consultant or consulting firm should have a lot of experience and expertise in the following areas (plus a lot more)…
This is the stuff you do on your site. Most people tend to think of SEO as an off-site strategy, which typically means link building and social signals, but there are a lot of things that need to be done on your site before any of the other techniques will work. Basically your website needs to be “search engine friendly” in order to rank well, no matter what you do, and your SEO consultant should be able to advise you in what you need to do on your site to get it ready to rank.
Here are some of the on-page factors that your consulting company should be able to assist you with:
* Title tags – Getting a title tag right is a lot harder than you might think. And a properly optimized title tag can work wonders for SEO.
* Description tags – Pretty much the same can be said about this tag as with the title. It’s very important for on-site search engine optimization but not easy to “get right” unless you are a professional.
* Meta tags – In addition to the title and description there are a lot of other meta tags that may or may not be important, depending on your particular website and situation. The SEO guru that you hire should be able to advise you on these.
* Quality content – The most important part of any website and vital for achieving high search engine rankings. But are you pages actually well written with truly quality content from the perspective of Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines? You probably think so but you might be surprised!
* Keyword density – Something else you don’t want to mess up. Too little and you might never rank for the terms you want to rank for, too much and you might be penalized for over-optimization. It’s a fine line to walk!
* LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) – The basic summary of LSI is that the content of a website are crawled by Google and other SE’s in which the most common words or phrases, along with their synonyms and related words, are identified as the keywords for each page.
* Site structure – Are your pages using structured data to support listings? Can search engines crawl your site easily? Are duplicate content issues being handled correctly on site? Is the design SEO friendly? These are all things your consultant should be able to tell you and help you fix if needed.
* Headers – Are your heading and sub-headings using the correct HTML tags and proper keywords?
* Site speed – This is increasing in SEO importance as everything on the internet gets faster and faster. People are impatient so your site needs to load very quickly for best results.
* Mobile friendly – Sites tend to show up very differently on devices such as smartphones and tables than they do on regular computers. The world is becoming increasingly mobile and more people are getting online via mobile devices than they are computers these days. So it is very important that your site is mobile friendly and optimized correctly for it.
* Structured data / Schema markup – Structured data allows search engines such as Google to truly understand your site, which can help tremendously with SEO.
Along with online, they also look after your offline site requirements:
* Link Building – This is one of the most important parts of SEO, and it can boost your rankings more than getting the right backlinks.
* Social Media – This is growing significantly in importance as a ranking factor. In fact, it is now one of the most important parts of SEO. Is your content getting posted on social networks? Does it get shared by trusted and respected people in your industry?
* Videos – SEO consultants post appealing videos showcasing your brand and its value.
* Content Marketing – SEO consultants market your products and services via digital content like blogs and articles.
These are some job responsibilities of a professional SEO consultant.